To follow up with the email on Tuesday, here is more information about why we are not to have pictures or statues of Jesus or Mary or saints. I could just share one scripture that specifically talks about this but I think seeing the theme of these messages all the way through the Bible will help some. This is not an anomaly. God means it now just like in the past. I will put the website link I got this from at the bottom of the information so you can get more information, if you would like.
~ ~ ~
Bible verses about Graven Images
The Second Commandment is thou shalt not make any graven image. It is idolatry to worship false gods or the true God by statues or pictures. First, no one knows how Jesus looks like so how can you make an image of him? Right away you see when Catholics bow down and pray to images of Mary it is idolatry. God is not wood, stone, or metal and he will not be worshiped as if he was a man-made item.
God is extremely serious when it comes to idols. There will be a day when many people who claim to be Christian will be caught lacking and will be thrown into hell for their blatant idolatry against God. Do not be that person who tries to twist Scripture and find any way possible to do something that is not supposed to be done. God will not be mocked.
What does the Bible say?
1. Exodus 20:4-6 “You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected-even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me. But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.
2. Deuteronomy 4:23-24 Be careful not to forget the covenant of the LORD your God that he made with you; do not make for yourselves an idol in the form of anything the LORD your God has forbidden. For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.
3. Exodus 34:14 Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
4. Colossians 3:5 Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.
5. Deuteronomy 4:16-18 so that you do not act corruptly and make a graven image for yourselves in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female, the likeness of any animal that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the sky, the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the water below the earth.
6. Leviticus 26:1 “Do not make idols or set up carved images, or sacred pillars, or sculptured stones in your land so you may worship them. I am the LORD your God.
7. Psalm 97:7 All who worship images are put to shame, those who boast in idols- worship him, all you gods!
Worship God in spirit and in truth
8. John 4:23-24 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
God shares his glory with no one
9. Isaiah 42:8 “I am the LORD; that is my name! I will not give my glory to anyone else, nor share my praise with carved idols.
10. Revelation 19:10 Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said, “No, don’t worship me. I am a servant of God, just like you and your brothers and sisters who testify about their faith in Jesus. Worship only God. For the essence of prophecy is to give a clear witness for Jesus.”
11. Isaiah 44:8-11 Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.” All who make idols are nothing, and the things they treasure are worthless. Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame. Who shapes a god and casts an idol, which can profit nothing? People who do that will be put to shame; such craftsmen are only human beings. Let them all come together and take their stand; they will be brought down to terror and shame.
12. Habakkuk 2:18 “Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak.
13. Jeremiah 10:14-15 Every man is stupid and without knowledge; every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols, for his images are false, and there is no breath in them. They are worthless, a work of delusion; at the time of their punishment they shall perish.
14. Leviticus 19:4 Do not put your trust in idols or make metal images of gods for yourselves. I am the LORD your God.
15. Ephesians 5:5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person–such a person is an idolater-has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
16. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
17. 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,
18. 2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
19. Judges 17:4 Yet he restored the money unto his mother; and his mother took two hundred shekels of silver, and gave them to the founder, who made thereof a graven image and a molten image: and they were in the house of Micah.
20. Nahum 1:14 And this is what the LORD says concerning the Assyrians in Nineveh: “You will have no more children to carry on your name. I will destroy all the idols in the temples of your gods. I am preparing a grave for you because you are despicable!”
21. Judges 18:30 And the children of Dan set up the graven image: and Jonathan, the son of Gershom, the son of Manasseh, he and his sons were priests to the tribe of Dan until the day of the captivity of the land.
I didn’t realize this either until Jesus told me to add that in the email I sent of things we needed to clear out in order to clear our pathway for the Ascension. I saw that I had a statue outside in my garden, and couple of statues in my home and also a magnet on the refrigerator. All of them are now gone. Everyone has to make their own decision of how they want to live now and forever. For me, that is with Jesus so I just did what He said. Reading Exodus 20:4 was very clear to me: “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.”
In Jesus’ Love,